Saturday, August 15, 2009

Crank

Title: Crank Author: Ellen Hopkins Publisher: Simon Pulse Number Of Pages: 537 Publication Date: October 5th, 2004

Synopsis from back of book: Life was good

before I

met

the monster

After,

life

was great

At

least

for a little while.

Kristina is the perfect daughter: gifted high school junior, quiet, never any trouble. Then she meets the monster: crank. And what begins as a wild ride turns into a struggle for her mind, her soul—her life.

Review: Crank was one of the most horrifying, heartbreaking books I have ever read. But, it was totally and completely amazing. It took me only a few hours to finish it, and even though I wanted to put it down because it was so terribly true (which scared me.) but, it captured my attention and I just couldn’t put it down. Ellen takes you on a ride you will never forget, and shows you the reasons why you never want to do drugs.

Kristina/Bree, is captured in Crank’s clutches and becomes an addict, and I so badly wanted to tell her through the whole book, that she is being an idiot for doing Crank. (Hehehe.) Ellen, states at the beginning of the book how this story is based on her daughter Kristina’s experience with Crank, and she was able to depict her daughter so well.

Overall, Ellen has true talent and I look forward to reading the rest of her books.

I recommend this book if you like prose novels, Ellen Hopkin’s other books, and young adult novels.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like the book really effected you which just shows how good the book is.

    Thank you so much for sharing

    Barry Eva (Storyheart)
    Author of "Across the Pond"

    Book Site:http://across-t-pond.com
    Follow my daily blog at: http://acrossthepond-storyheart.blogspot.com
    Follow my Blog Talk Radio Show at :http://www.blogtalkradio.com/Across-the-Pond
    Amazon Reviews: http://tinyurl.com/o7sokp

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ellen's books! They're always so great :)

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Ellen Hopkins; she's a fantastic author. :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard Ellen speak at SCBWI L.A. about the process of writing CRANK and the things she went through with her daughter. It was a very powerful speech and made me really want to read the book. I'm definitely adding it to me TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book was really good. I love all books by Ellen; she's truely gifted. And I can't wait for her next one, Tricks, to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, wow, wow, wow. Thanks for the review. This looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one looks so good! I'm glad I found your adorable blog! Thanks for the great review, I hope you'll come back and visit me as well!!

    xoxo Amy (Park-Avenue Princess)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buy famous children books, fiction & non-fiction books, comics, novels at low price here
    Famous Books Store

    ReplyDelete