Monday, July 6, 2009

Traveling To Teens: Interview with Lisa Mantchev!

1. Where did you get the inspiration for Eyes Like Stars?

ELS started as a short story entitled "All Her World's A Stage," and that began with the name "Beatrice Shakespeare Smith." I was working on a different short story at the time, but I'm pretty sure I shoved it aside to write the first draft. I wish I could figure out where the name came from, since everyone has been asking me this question!

2. How long did it take you to write Eyes Like Stars?

The first draft took three months, then it took about a year and a half to get it through edits, revisions, copyedits and page proofs

3. Are any of the characters like anyone you know?

The fairies are my rude inner voices, and I end up having conversations with friends that sound EXACTLY like something the fairies would say to each other. Bits of the fairies are also my four-year-old daughter.

Otherwise, I don't really base characters off people I know, for fear they might sue me...

4. What is the writing process like for you?

Simultaneously the most frustrating and rewarding thing possible. There's a lot of hair-pulling, slumping over the desk, scowling at the ceiling followed immediately by grinning, happy dancing, and celebratory cake.

5. What do you hope people get from reading Eyes Like Stars?

The burning need to go see live theater. If it's any other kind of burning, I refuse to accept credit or responsibility.


Thanks Lisa!


Click here to see my review of the lovely Eyes Like Stars.






4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the interview - its always interesting to read about the writing process.

    By the way, I love the polka dots on your blog background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I gave you an award...check it out at www.libraryloungelizard.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a feeling this book is going to be really big, Idk why ... but I just have that feeling lol.

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete