Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Unwritten Rule

Title: The Unwritten Rule Author: Elizabeth Scott Publisher: Simon Pulse Number of Pages: 210 Publication Date: March 16th, 2010

Synopsis from Jacket Flap:
Everyone knows the unwritten rule: You don't like your best friend's boyfriend.
Sarah has had a crush on Ryan for years. He's easy to talk to, supersmart, and totally gets her. Lately it even seems like he's paying extra attention to her. Everything would be perfect except for two things: Ryan is Brianna's boyfriend, and Brianna is Sarah's best friend.
Sarah forces herself to avoid Ryan and tries to convince herself not to like him. She feels so guilty for wanting him, and the last thing she wants is to hurt her best friend. But when she's thrown together with Ryan one night, something happens. It's wonderful...and awful.
Sarah is torn apart by guilt, but what she feels is nothing short of addiction, and she can't stop herself from wanting more...

Review:
The Unwritten Rule was just as eloquent as Elizabeth Scott’s previous works. I jumped up and down when I got it, and then sped through it.

It was painful to read at times, because I really hated how Sarah treated Brianna. (I have had friends like that before.) I
really disliked Brianna… yet I felt myself sympathizing with her at times. I couldn’t help it. While some authors wouldn’t be able to pull a book like this off (mainly because I wasn’t sure if I could identify with Sarah at first, but I reallyreally did), Elizabeth Scott DID pull it off.  Sarah’s character was so quirky and different, and I loved her obsession with Chucks. While all the characters were great, they weren't as remarkable as Sarah--she jumped off the page more than anyone else in the story.

Ryan was a great character too. He isn’t a cheating jerk as you would have expected. He is really sweet and cares about Sarah. Anyway, the pacing of the book was pleasant. And the characters developed more as the story went on. The ending… was shocking, but really wrapped the book up.

I thoroughly enjoyed Elizabeth’s new novel. I cannot wait to read more of her novels in the future.

I recommend this book if you have either really enjoyed Elizabeth’s previous novels or if you are looking for a really good contemporary young adult novel.

FTC: Got for review from Simon Pulse

2 comments:

  1. I have a copy of this and am so excited to read it! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there!

    I've got an award for your blog. =)

    ReplyDelete